poniedziałek, 29 marca 2010

Busy time... and insects armageddon.

A few day of silence from my side. Days full of work. First days spent on the fresh air. With accompaniment of smoke from burned leaves. I had to burn them (especially from Aesculus hippocastanum) quick due to the fact they contain a lot of larva of Cameraria ohridella.

This is quite new pest in Poland killing horse chestnuts. It came from south and found our trees and weather very attractive. There are a few ways to protect form it. First - you drill the stem and fill it with a toxin. Invasive method which when done wrong can do more harm than benefit. You can always take professionals but of course it means money spent. Another method is to put an adhesive tape to which the insects will stick. I tried another one with very good results. Each year I have a plenty of pretty chestnuts so I think it works well.

First thing is to burn leaves where the larva spend the winter. Second is to hoover adult insects after hatch. They are swarming on the lower part of the stem on the shadow side where I hoover them with hoover dedicated for leaves. One thing is to burn the leaves quicker than the larva will go out of them. This year it suddenly became quite hot so I have to hurry. 

I've planted another sweet cherry tree. One of mine withered. I suppose it was stroke by the lightning. Everything in the garden changes day by day. More sun. More birds. Once again world became green...

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz